Friday, February 27, 2009

Fish Head Curry, the Chinese way


My brother always says that the best tasting food is never served on a nice looking, polished restaurants. He has this philosophy that the dirtier and shabbier the place is, the more out of reach it is, the better it tastes. Not sure if that is all true, but there is some truth in that if a place is shabby but years in and year out people still come, then it says something about the quality of food and taste of that restaurant. That is the case with the fish head curry from Our Makan Shop.

Fish Head Curry, Indian dish cooked by Chinese with a Chinese twist

I'm not actually big on eating fish head, maybe it's because I kinda feel guilty that the fish is staring at me while I poke, flesh out and nibble its body. Though the neck and cheek of the fish are almost always have the most tender meat than the rest of the body. I must say that for this dish, the curry is my favorite. Sweet, sour and savory. Mucho addictive! The best part for me is to dip the crispy papadum to the curry. Hm.... Last time I was there, I had to order a second round of papadum.

Squid in Squid Ink and Curry

Yes, it's rather dark in color isn't it? Fret not, it tasted wonderful. The squid was tender, chewy but not rubbery. Tasted great with some rice. The curry taste was very interesting as I never thought of putting squid ink together with curry...


Eggplant Curry

As an eggplant afficionado, this dish rank high in my favorite list. The eggplant are tender without being too mushy and the curry seeped deep inside the skin of the eggplant.

Stir fried long beans

My plate of rice, papadum, stir fried long beans, squid and eggplant

Since all the dishes are quite rich in flavor, be it spicy or curry, the rice moderates the flavor of each dish. And the papadum,... it's good on its own, and it's great dipped into the curry sauce. Either way with the papadum, you win.

Our Makan Shop
Blk 34 Whampoa West #01-27
Near Boon Keng MRT
Singapore 330034
+65 6297 9729

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts and make my day! Let me know that I am not blogging in vain...