Monday, February 9, 2009

Take Out from Tanpopo Deli


Liang Court is one of those old malls that they have just recently revamped and renovated. However, the special thing about this one is that, there is a LOT of Japanese stuff here. Meidi-ya, the Japanese Supermarket is here, an all Japanese food court, and at least 3 more Japanese restaurants are here that I know of. I started coming there last year when only the basement and part of the first floor were opened and since they opened all, I haven't been exploring yet. I usually just grab some food on my way back from the office and this is one of those nights.


The salad selection at Tanpopo deli: try the jellyfish salad and hijiki... well all their salads are good but these two are my favorites

The good thing about Tanpopo deli is that after a certain hour, I think its around 8pm ish, they slash the price of the take outs! This is to ensure that they have fresh food available only and to me, its a means to save! I love their salads, but that night I knew salad was just not going to cut it. So I got myself potato croquettes, sansai gohan and hijiki.


My bounty for the night

Sansai gohan is simply rice with wild vegetables. It's a very simple yet comforting dish that brought back delicious memories from the times that I spent in Japan. I think on the process of making the rice, some soy sauce and mirin is added because it had that savory taste that didn't come from plain rice. Very subtle flavoring that allowed you to still taste the fluffiness of the Japanese rice and doesn't give you a sickening after taste. I was so happy it came with the yellow radish pickles, one of my favorite Japanese pickles. Don't worry if you don't like the Japanese pickles, it is an acquired taste. Do try to acquire or you would miss out on some of the best pickles in the world!


Sansai gohan with yellow pickle @SGD 3.55

The potato croquette came with sliced cabbage and katsu sauce. The croquette is basically mashed potato mixed with pork mince breaded and fried katsu style. Simple yet very tasty. Not so healthy though, this one Japanese food.


Potato Croquette @SGD 4.11 (before tax)

Hijiki is one of my absolute Japanese food favorite that I discovered while living with a home stay family in Japan. It's this small black seaweed cooked very simply with soy sauce and mirin. Tossed a few aburaage slices, edamame beans and voila! A simple healthy dish! I could just eat hijiki and rice everyday.


Hijiki @SGD 3.73


My dinner for the night: Itadakimasu!


Tanpopo Deli
177 River Valley Rd #B1-16
Liang Court Shopping Centre
+65 6338 3186
Singapore

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts and make my day! Let me know that I am not blogging in vain...