Sunday, February 22, 2009

Grounding sesame lesson @Tonkichi

Tonkichi is one of my favorite restaurants in Singapore, for sure. The first time I saw it on the fourth floor of Takashimaya, it brought me back to the good old times in Kyoto, especially this awesome tonkatsu restaurant down at Shijo. For the life of me I can't remember what it's called but I can still picture my way there from my school. I ate there multiple times. It was there when I learnt to grind my own sesame and learn what a pleasure it is to have the fragrant smell of sesame wafting through your nose. It was my first ever proper Japanese tonkatsu and what a happy camper I was to discover a similar restaurant, here! in Singapore!


For some reason, there is always a long line around lunch and dinner time, which is why I always avoid the rush hour, hence eating at weird hours at times...

I had the pleasure of having K, who is Japanese that night which was awesome because I learnt something new. I forgot what she ordered, but I get the one thing that I always order every time I go, Hire Katsu Oyster set at SGD 24. Hire Katsu is claimed to be the premium fillet and it has less fat while Rosu Katsu, is more tender because it has some fat on the edges. I've tried both previously but Hire is my favorite. So for my set, I got 3 pieces of hire katsu and 2 pieces of oyster fry with tartar sauce on the side. The set comes with free flow of rice, shredded cabbage and miso soup. Good deal I say.


K demonstrating how to ground the sesame using the mortar

As soon as we ordered, the waiter gave us our sesame bowl to ground on our own. The fragrant was so nice and relaxing. Then when our orders came, K told me that after you mixed the tonkatsu sauce with the ground sesame, you're supposed to pour it on your tonkatsu and shredded cabbage! Usually I would just dip my katsu in... Oops.. Well I guess at the end of the day it is a personal choice though, so don't feel obliged!

Hire Katsu and Oyster Fry set @SGD 24, set includes; rice, miso soup, pickles and fruits for dessert.

I just the way all of the katsu, cabbage, the sauce, compliments the fluffy white rice. The hire katsu was crisp and firm but tender at the same time. Oyster-fry was also crisp and yum especially with the tartar sauce.


Bite off section of the oyster fry with the tartar sauce at the background

If you come here starving, try to upgrade your set meal and get tonjiru instead of miso soup. It's definitely not my host mom's home cooked tonjiru, but definitely worth the try. Tonjiru is pork soup with veggies and also includes gobo which is burdock root and konyaku which is jelly like food made from potato super yum!


A slice of hire katsu, you can see the pinkness of the meat and the ground sesame mixed tonkatsu sauce

It was a satisfying dinner indeed. I think of all the restaurants in Singapore, I've come here the most. Hmm... maybe I'll go there for lunch today....

Tonkichi
Ngee Ann City (Takashimaya)
391 Orchard Rd, #04-24
Singapore 238872
+65 6735 7522

2 comments:

  1. yes..I tried this restaurant before and it was so so good...they have one of the best Rosu Katsu in town.

    The first time i went with a friend, we didn't know what this mortar, or what a mortar was..hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent entry. Tonkichi is DEFINITELY one of my and my co-bloggers' favorite restaurant on earth. There's one in Hong Kong too (surprisingly)! BTW, thanks for dropping a comment on our blog (on the Jun Njan Restaurant entry) - I've responded accordingly and I hope you'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts and make my day! Let me know that I am not blogging in vain...