Friday, February 20, 2009

Thursday Lunch @Makan Mumbai

The Special North Indian Meal

It's a little authentic Indian shop that has various set menu for different days. I haven't been here for a while so when S and I were at a lost on what to eat for lunch on a Thursday, I suggested Makan Mumbai. The shop is frequented with many South Asians which is why I deemed it authentic. There is another Indian food shop nearby that is also good, but I don't think it's authentic since I always see foreigners there. Anyway, I like Makan Mumbai's food, they taste good and the price is reasonable. The set menus are around SGD 6-8 which is a bargain for the food quality.

Gujharati Meal with spiced rice, two dishes, veggies, papadum, papadum like thing, cucumber and tomato pieces in yoghurt

That day I ordered the Gujharati meal, vegetarian set menu of the day at SGD 7.50. The set was yellow colored rice cooked with different spices, stir fried veggies in Indian style, green bean light curry-ish dish, and fried veggies dough balls in a tangy creamy soup. There were also a couple of papadum and a couple of papadum like things which I'm not sure what it's called. I thoroughly enjoyed the meal that I had, all the different veggies dishes were very appetizing and made me felt healthy eating it. The papadum a bit soggy and not crunchy but usually theirs are crunchy. My favorite was the tangy creamy sauce, I used that to mix with the rest of my food, very yummy.

The fried veggie balls in tangy creamy sauce

The veggie in the Gujharati meal

The Special North Indian mean was also vegetarian at SGD 7, consisting of rice, red bean curry-ish dish and creamy lentils dish. Dipping your papadum to the lentil dish is almost heavenly. It's my comfort food. My little piece of heaven that happens at lunchtime during my weekday. Both dishes were served on a steel plates with a couple of small steel bowls for the soupy dishes. It's very practical for the restaurant as they don't have to worry about cracked plates and also makes it more unique compared to other places.

The Special North Indian meal close up

We wanted to end the lunch with a sweet note so we ordered gulab jamun which is small doughnuts made from mainly milk solids in sugar syrups flavored with indian herbs and spices. Its so soft and so sweet, I wish I can eat however many that I can, but gotta keep the sugar level in checks and don't want those excess calories piling up. So, once in a while, I indulge myself to a sweet treat. Like this time.


Sweet sweet gulab jamun at SGD 3 for two pieces

Makan Mumbai
84 Telok Ayer St
#01-0184 Far East Square
Singapore
+65 6536 4565

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts and make my day! Let me know that I am not blogging in vain...