Monday, February 16, 2009

Spicin' it up @Minang House


Since yesterday I have been craving ayam panggang (grilled chicken) from this Indo restaurant in Lucky Plaza, Minang House. The restaurant is quite small and you can see all that they have to offer on display. Minang refers to an ethnic group in West of Sumatra, Indonesia which makes sense to those who understand Indonesian because the food that they sell is Minang food. Since the Minangs are muslim, all the food here is halal.The signature of Minang food is definitely heavy spices and some curry, all of them spciy, which is also good for your digestive system. You get to pick and choose what you want to eat. The set menus ranges from 6-9 Singapore dollars. Each set you get a rice and you get to choose 3 other things, which can be a mixture of veggies and meat. The portion is quite generous, I always feel full even 3/4 of my meal, perhaps the coconut base curry is also accountable.


Pick and choose what you'd like to eat from these 'edible' menu

So today, I got myself my ayam panggang, eggplant with chili, sayur nangka (jackfruit curry) and a little bit of cassava leaves curry. Of course with krupuk. The grilled chicken was tender, sweet with just a hint of spiciness. This grilled chicken was definitely soaked in a mixture of herbs before being grilled that's why you could see the yellow color. The jackfruit curry was quite spicy but satisfyingly good, little pieces of jackfruits were tender but still chewy. The chili eggplants were so pretty, the skin color were pinkish purple and white on the inside, the flesh so tender yet still crunchy. Sometimes eggplants can be too overcooked but this one was perfect. I asked a little bit of chicken curry for on top of the rice, and it tastes so good. You could taste the chicken stock on the curry. To make this combination even better, remember to order the Krupuk, only a dollar for a pack, dip it with your curry soaked rice, it's almost heaven.


Rice with grilled chicken, chilli eggplant, jackfruit curry, and krupuk @SGD 6.80 (including a canned drink)

Other Indonesians that I have brought here got really addicted to their food. I was never a believer of eating Indonesian food abroad because they never cook it right, but I make this one my exception. Whenever I feel homesick for some Indonesian food, I would cure it with a meal from here. Better yet, they serve teh botol! Which is the unofficial national drink for Indonesians. Ask any Indos abroad what teh botol is, they'd tell you its one of the best drinks from home.

Rice with omelette, beef jerky, grilled chicken, chili eggplant and cassava leaves curry

Minang House
#02-04 Lucky Plaza
Orchard Rd
Singapore
+65 6887 4702

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts and make my day! Let me know that I am not blogging in vain...