Friday, March 20, 2009

Outdoor Egyptian Dining Experience @Haji Lane

Al Tazzas @Haji Lane

Friday was finally here, but somehow this past friday was too much drama for me which is why when I got an sms from L wondering if I were up for some Turkish food action at Haji Lane that night, I said yes. Even though I was sick and feeling like crap. It gave me the the boost I needed to trudge through the last few hours at the office. 

I dashed out of the office building as soon as I was done and head to Bugis to meet L. From there we walked to Haji Lane, a couple of blocks away. I felt like I was transformed, transported away from this little island where sometimes, everywhere just feels the same. Here in Haji Lane, in this tiny stretch of street, the old shop houses give you a sense of uniqueness and that all is welcomed. I was surprised to see new places opened there, I think there were 2 more cafe(s)/bar(s) that I hadn't seen before. 

Eating at the verandah and streetside

L and I walked from one end to the other dodging the tables and chairs that were set up outside on the street, trying to figure out at which restaurant we should eat. We finally decided to have Al Tazzas the Egyptian restaurant. I remembered having ate there before and that I was please with their dips and falafel

We ordered the sampler platter which consisted of Baba Ghanoush, Hummus, Tahini, Tzatziki and Salad, which comes with a basket of warm pita bread. My favorite out of these 5 is the Tahini, it was so savoury. At the end of the dinner L commented that the Tahini is the one that is almost gone while the rest are still there. I enjoyed the Baba Ghanoush and Hummus too, but I thought the Tzatziki was a bit too sour or too liquid. The salad was simply cucumber, tomatoes and some herbs dressed in olive oil and lemon, very refreshing in these tropical weather. 

Clockwise from left to right: Tahini, Hummus, Baba Ganoush, Tzatziki and salad in the middle

Bread basket and cutleries

The falafel did not disappoint. They came freshly fried, warm and loaded with Tahini and some red sauce I forgot to ask what. The falafel had just the right consistancy, not too dry or too soggy. It was a piece of saving grace for my Friday. L was so happy with the falafel that she cut it to 6-8 little pieces. I did mine in quarters... Oh, alright the second one I cut in 6. The falafel came with some more pita bread and I wished that they just give us more falafels than pita bread. 

Falavel with tahini and red sauce

Last but not least, what is a visit to any Middle Eastern food joint without some meat? I was so tempted to ordered kofte, minced lamb meatballs with herbs, but I always always always order that. So I decided to order the Shawarma chicken. By the time it came, I thought they forgot this order... but it was good. The chicken was very well spiced and given some tahini and red sauce. My only wish is that they served it earlier before I had gotten so full eating the dips. 

For drinks, we both ordered this Hibiscus Flower drink which I can't remember what it was called. It was kind of like red tea, sweet sour taste, but very refreshing. I love middle eastern food and I just had so much fun soaking in the atmosphere of the outdoor dining experience there. Oh, and the other nice thing that I almost forgot to mention is... price is already including GST, so when the time comes that your bill arrives you don't get shocked of all these extra charges that got accumulated! 

Hibiscus drink

Al Tazzas
Egyptian Restaurant
24 Haji Lane
Singapore 189217
+65 6295 5024

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts and make my day! Let me know that I am not blogging in vain...