Thursday, June 10, 2010

The hills are alive, with the smell of bread

The entrance

One of the great things about having a car is, well the most obvious, you can get around much faster without caring too much about the weather. So I woke up on Wednesday morning and decided that I will stop by the Bourke Street Bakery for a cup of mocha and pork fennel sausage on my way to my physiotherapy session.

Pork and fennel sausage roll

Cross section

I lucked out and got a seat inside, which means that I didn't have to gulp down my mocha before the wind made it cold. Not sure if you heard this a lot, but Bourke Street Bakery is quite famous for their pork fennel sausage. I know I rave about it. The pastry is soft and moist, not too dry nor too buttery. The pork is juicy and the herbs made it smell so good. Add to it, tomato ketchup? Heavenly. Especially with a cup of mocha on a cool winter morning. What could be better than having your breakfast enveloped in a fresh of the oven bakery smell?

If you've never been here, then I would definitely recommend the pork and fennel sausage, lamb and harissa almond roll, au pain chocolat, raspberry chocolate mouse tart and the lemon tart. I bought a lemon tart take away but forgot to take a picture. I love it, but I couldn't eat all the lemon mousse as it did get quite sour. Still, I'd be going back for more.

Mocha

Bourke Street Bakery
633 Bourke St
Surry Hills, NSW 2010
+61 2 9699 1011
Open Mon-Fri 7am-6pm, Sat-Sun 8am-5pm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts and make my day! Let me know that I am not blogging in vain...