Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Sick day comfort food


The weather in Sydney this last week has been downright disgusting; cloudy, rainy and windy. I still was caught off guard when I started shivering on Monday night with headache and tummy aches coming soon after. It lasted the whole night, till 5 a.m. and to top if off, my alarm didn't go off at 8 because my phone's battery died. Finally looked at 10.10 a.m. slightly panicky because I had class at 11 but I was totally drained. To save you from a long winded story, I skipped my lecture, went to class, my meeting got cancelled as my professor had an urgent personal matter and a friend was kind enough to drop me home. By that time, I knew I need to make some warm, bland but tasty and comforting food. One thing came to mind, a minced beef soup that I always have at home whenever I felt under the weather.

And here's the recipe:
150 g minced beef
4 cloves of garlic (pressed and minced)
a small bunch of coriander (chopped)
soy sauce
salt
pepper
1 tea spoon of sesame oil
1 table spoon of vegetable oil
3 cups of hot water

1. Place your pot and let it heat for 20 seconds before putting in vegetable oil. Let it heat for another 15 seconds then pop in the pressed and minced garlic stirring till they start to brown and release their fragrant.
2. Get the minced beef in and stir till brown.
3. Pour in water and add soy sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
4. Add in sesame oil
5. Add half of the chopped coriander

And, you're done! Just get your rice in a bowl or vermicelli and ladle in your freshly made soup. Use the remainder of the chopped coriander as a garnish. Grab a cup of warm chamomile tea, sit in front of you tv while you eat. Rest and get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts and make my day! Let me know that I am not blogging in vain...