Sunday, May 23, 2010

Back to Basic: Fried egg and sweet soy sauce


I woke up to another rainy morning in Sydney. I had planned on tagging along a friend to Primo Italiano, the Italian Festival in Surry Hills. Well, that plan got scraped so I had to think of what to eat. My fridge has been quite empty since two weeks ago when projects started to pile up and I had been Chat Thai's VIP take out customer (to my opinion anyway).

Thinking back on how much money I had spent these past two weeks in take outs and celebration of getting my NSW driver's license as well as the end of 2 projects, I decided that I need to save up. So, to the grocery I went. Then I had a flash of idea and a sudden craving of a childhood comfort food. Not surprising considering the weather and how exhausted I have been of late.

A peek to my sauce cabinet confirmed that I have some sweet soy sauce. So I took out the pan, butter, spam and egg. Rice cooker cooked Jasmine rice on the side. Ten minutes later, I was in front of my TV with my breakfast and grapefruit juice. There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING, more heavenly that the taste of warm rice drizzled with sweet soy sauce and freshly fried egg.

If you never try it, you are missing out big time. There's no recipe to this, just get a bottle of sweet soy sauce, fried some egg and eat it with warm rice.

*Note: some people are fanatical about which sweet soy sauce brand, I don't remember what my mom usually use, but I found that this one, ABC brand is quite nice. A little thick to my liking, but it was there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts and make my day! Let me know that I am not blogging in vain...