Thursday, May 27, 2010

Gumshara Ramen

Garlic Ramen with soft boiled egg topping, $10.50 plus $1.50

It's been a while since I had a good ramen and I certainly hadn't found one in Sydney yet. I miss Tanpopo ramen in Singapore and their black pig tonkatsu. Anyway, I decided to consult Grab Your Fork for ramen and decided on Gumshara ramen in Eating World Harbour Plaza. The food court was just opening, so I could peruse menu leisurely. I debated whether I should try the pork spare rib ramen which they claim only to serve 20 per day or their tonkotsu ramen. I decided to get the garlic tonkotsu ramen with soft boiled egg topping. After all, its not complete without the egg. I was a little chagrined that it was an add on topping rather than being inclusive. When they serve it to me, they told me that if the broth was too thick or salty, I should let them know so that they can fix it.

The shop, quite slow at 11.45 a.m.

The garlic and tonkotsu smell were really good. The ramen were cooked just nice, not too hard but not to soft. The sliced pork were superb and the menma was crunchy. The broth was quite thick but I didn't mind it, however I did ask them to put more soy sauce. Then again, for those who knows me know that I have a savory tongue, not sweet toothed. Other Sydney food bloggers have mentioned that the soup is collagen rich, I suppose that should make me feel less guilty and think of how great collagen is for me! (strong and elastic skin!)

I loved the big piece of seaweed on my ramen too. So far, this has been the best ramen I have tried in Sydney. Especially with a name like 'Gumshara' which was one of my favorite word in Japan. I can't remember exactly what it meant, I will consult with a friend and get back on this. I think next time I will try the pork rib ramen and their gyoza.

Oh, before I forgot you should check out this video on how the Japanese government has decided to monitor their citizens' waistlines. I just came across it. I was thinking wow, I wouldn't mind eating traditional Japanese food everyday to lose weight. Then it dawned on me, ramen isn't exactly what the Japanese government had in mind for this program!

Gumshara
Shop 209, Eating World Harbour Plaza
25-29 Dixon st. (Entrance from Goulbourn st or China town area)
Haymarket, Chinatown.
Open Tue-Sun 10 a.m.-10 p.m.
Closed on Mondays.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts and make my day! Let me know that I am not blogging in vain...