Saturday, October 2, 2010

Cupcakes Nostalgia from Kambala Days

Vanilla Cupcake with Strawberry Icing

It was a mid September afternoon, merely hours before I broke my foot. Yes, I broke my foot and this is why I have been AWOL from blogging... well that and my school work. Anyway - stories on how I broke my foot can be re-told if there's demand. Now back to the cupcakes, I have been waiting for this moment since ages. One of my fond memories of my Kambala days was this cupcakes. I was so happy when a Kambala girl friend of mine told me that I can still have this cupcake! She told me where to get them but the last time I went there on a Sunday they were closed and I hadn't had time to return till that fateful day on September 17.

Loving the lettering of the shop's name - so 80s!

It was a step back in time, like going back in the 80s if you're looking at the store from the outside. It's nostalgic and so simple amongst all these new foodie craze in Sydney where cafes, bakeries, chefs compete to create the most innovative new thing, almost like an art design where you kinda just want to look at - so afraid to bite as you might just ruin a piece of artwork. At Dobinson, cupcakes are just cupcakes. There for your eating pleasure. Simplicity is key here with cake bases such as vanillas and chocolates.

Choose carefully - don't let your waistline hate you

Vanilla base cupcake with vanilla icing

Of course I just had to have the vanilla base cupcake with strawberry icing. Expect simplicity, there's nothing too strawberry other than the pink-ish colour, but as I bite into it, I felt like I was transported back to a time where everything was so simple. My partner in crime of the day who doubled as my informant in tracking down this place J, had the vanilla icing. We then got the mini cupcakes each. I also ordered 2 more normal size cupcakes to go. I just had to! It's been 10 over years since I had these cupcakes!

Chicken Mushroom Cheese pie

As it was lunch time and I can't just have cupcake for lunch, J and I ordered a cheesy chicken mushroom pie to share. I am in looooove... So soft and gooey, the chicken pieces were full of flavour - oh so savoury. We also ordered a cappuccino each, which came in this big glasses that I forgot to take a picture of. A total of 4 cupcakes, 2 junior cupcakes, 1 small cupcake, 2 cappuccinos and one savoury pie was around A$20! Love the reasonable price here... I really can't wait to get back. Unfortunately that afternoon I broke my foot - the right one. So doctor say no driving till cast is off. So lesson of this post: don't take your foot for granted and go get those cupcakes and live it up for me.

PS: It is said that the famous Adriano Zumbo once worked here.... Now, aren't you curious?

Dobinsons Cake
10 Newcastle St
Rosebay, NSW 2029
+61 2 9371 7334
Closed on Sundays

5 comments:

  1. omg I used to go to Kambala too, but never tried this place before fail lol :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww really? they used to stock it in the canteen, not sure if they still do that now in Kambala. I love these cupcakes! They are the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahh those cupcakes from the canteen are from this place? I love them! I think they were the most unhealthy food in the menu lol it's sad how we didn't have good ol junk food like fries or hot dogs :( I graduated a while back so not sure what's happening over there now :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha yup yup it's the same =) it's unhealthy but meh, once in a while s'okay...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Closed and wish I could get the recipe. It had changed by the time it closed. Also went to Kambala. Even has them at my wedding!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts and make my day! Let me know that I am not blogging in vain...