Sunday, October 31, 2010

100 Mile dinner at Bistrode CBD

Bistrode CBD Menu

Last week's Wednesday (Oct 27), I went with love my food and sugar to Bistrode CBD's 100 mile dinner. The idea is to have a meal where the ingredients involved were gathered from within 100 mile radius of the restaurant. Sounds like an interestingly green and support your local economy concept. I was quite curious as to what the food would be like as well since it has changed its chef. I also wondered if the charming Irish host, Howard would be there. Turned out, he is still there. He stopped by to say hello after noticing love my food and sugar's big ass dslr.

My slice of sourdough

I was famished when we got there and was quite happy that they started serving. The sourdough was perfect to stifle my stomach from rebelling. I truly enjoyed the Diamond Creek Olive oil as it tasted so fresh and delicious with a pinch of salt that I added, I was so tempted to request for another slice of bread but refrained from fear of over eating later.

Salted blue eye croquette and tomato ketchup

Twenty minutes later we got our first dish: salted blue eye croquette and tomato ketchup with rockets on the side. My first thought was, OMG it's so tiny! What it lacked in size it made up in taste, it was delish. However, the croquette was a bit too salty so after I cut out mine into smaller pieces I smothered them with the ketchup on the side :)

Sand whiting , Sydney rock oysters, young leeks and peas

Thirty minutes later, we got our third dish: sand whiting , Sydney rock oysters, young leeks and peas. This is what quintessential English food is in my head. I took a bite of the oysters first and was surprised that again it was a tad too salty... The fish was nice though and the best part of it all was the peas. I am not a big fan of peas, but on this dish they were bursting with sweetness and crunchyness. I am a convert pea fans now.

Warm Thirlmere duck salad

It took us less than 10 minutes to devoured this and thirty minutes later, our duck salad arrived. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that: 1. the duck was smoked and 2. there were different parts of duck being used including liver or maybe it was gizzard. The greens were fresh, sweet and crunchy, balancing the saltiness of the duck. So far this was my favorite dish.

Three ways pork with black pudding

Then the much awaited main dish: three ways pork. There were shoulder, loin, and crispy thinly sliced ears. Yes, ears! I was so surprised! I would expect that from a Chinese restaurant but not from a bistro. I couldn't wait to taste them. The shoulder and loin were tender and the ears? Crispy and savory. It wasn't enough... When Howard came along to take our plates, he noticed that I hadn't eaten my black pudding and he threatened not to give me dessert if I didn't try. I didn't, but he showed mercy and gave me my dessert hehe...

Mulberry soup and Paesanella Mascarpone Sorbet

The dessert was the best of it all. That saying "less is more" is so true. The mulberry soup was soft and understated but surprisingly leaving you wanting more. The mascarpone sorbet was plain enough but not so plain that sweeten the whole dish. I would love to have more of that.

It was a nice English meal experience and hopefully the mulberry soup is here to stay on the menu as a regular.

Bistrode CBD
Level 1 Corner of York and Kent St
Sydney, NSW 2000
+61 2 9240 3000
Open Mon-Fri for lunch and dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts and make my day! Let me know that I am not blogging in vain...