Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Guylian Cafe's Sugar Hit

Grand Forest by Guylian

If you remember from my post last week, the way I've been approaching life these days is to "expect less" so that when things don't turn out the way you wanted it you're not too disappointed and if they turn out better than you expected it, you are nicely surprised. What I forgot to mention is that this is one of those things that are easier said than done.

A closer look

I finally went to Guylian Cafe last night for Sugar Hit. I was really looking forward for the Grand Forest, the specially designed cake for this year's Sydney International Food Festival (SIFF). That was my first mistake, "looking forward" means expectation. Although I have to admit there were many other factors at play that might have distracted me from the actual taste. Long story short, I was rather disappointed as the cake was too sweet for my taste and the whole thing rather fell short of my expectation. The inside was better especially with the grand marnier strawberries and kirsch cherry, as the sourness cuts the sweetness therefore balancing the taste. I am sad to admit that I wasn't able to finish the cake!

The Brown Brothers' "cienna" wine was nice, a little bubbly on the sweet side but not too sweet. It softened my disappointment. I suppose that's what I get from letting my expectation get ahead of me. Although, it could also be the fact that prior to this, I had a dinner thing with my group from a uni course where I had pizza from Pancakes at the Rocks... and I think I ate way too much. If only I could have a do over...

Chicken Tandoori Pizza from Pancakes at the Rocks

I'd still recommend the Guylian Cafe's sugar hit as the cake was quite nice. If you don't have an overly sweet tooth, just try not to eat the chocolates on the plates. Oh before you go, don't eat a heavy meal, get a salad or something light.

Guylian Belgian Chocolate Cafe
91 George St, The Rocks, Sydney
'Sugar Hit' (1-31 October 2010, 9pm-11pm daily, $20)
+61 2 8274 7500

2 comments:

  1. aw shame about the sugar hit but that chicken pizza looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, yes the pizza was good! i think if i were to just ate half and box the rest for take away, sugar hit would have turned out better. oh well... there's always next year hehehe

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts and make my day! Let me know that I am not blogging in vain...