Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Still the first day in Japan: Hokutosei Night Train from Tokyo to Sapporo

The train man and Hokutosei

Ever since I left Japan last week's Sunday, I have been so tired and exhausted. I realized now that I have been going on adrenaline the whole time I was there. After reading this post you'll know why.

The view from the moving train, Somewhere in Hokkaido

After my little outing at Narita city, I came back to Narita airport to collect my travel buddy, Ginko chan. It wasn't hard to spot her. Her red giant backpack gave her away. Together, we picked up her railpass, get reserved seats for our train to Tokyo station, and then we took a shower. FYI, it was JPY 500 for 3o minutes shower at the airport. Once we were in Tokyo station, we had to take the local JR train to Ueno station where we get on board Hokutosei, the night train to Sapporo. We were lucky to get tickets considering we couldn't book overseas and had to get it once we got to Japan. This is another reason why I arrived early that day. We got a double cabin which was really cute. The bed were already made and it come with a JR motived yukata. I was so tempted to take it as a souvenir, but I resisted.

Our carriage

Our compartment for the journey. Thank God we're quite small people
otherwise we don't know how we would have fit!

The view from our table at the dining carriage

I love trains. Night train is also super cool. I love sleeping on it, it was like being gently rocked while you were sleeping.

Our table where we were served orange juice, water and food

The next morning, we decided to venture out to the dining carriage to have our breakfast. While we waited for our table, we waited at the lobby. I felt like I was in one of those old movies and the world's color turned to sepia. Exhausted as I was, functioning on adrenaline, I was glad to have taken the night train to Sapporo.

The Morning Menu

There were only 2 options: Japanese or Western set. We opted for the Japanese which turned out to be the same thing with the Western but we were given rice and miso soup instead of bread and corn soup. There is nothing much more relaxing than eating on the train and see the scenery passes by. Absolutely love it.

Fruits and Yoghurt were served first to prepare our stomach

The main dish: salad, sausages and potato salad, soft scrambled eggs with ketchup
and grilled fish with tsukemono (Japanese pickles)

View of our table after everything came out

The miso soup with flower shaped fish cakes

After, we got to choose between coffee or tea. I chose milk tea.

As the train moved toward Sapporo and the trees running passed by us, I could just feel that the zen that I was looking for was coming towards me. Surrounded by the greens, the lulling sound of Japanese language, their mannerism and politeness, I couldn't help but to smile. I felt slowly at peace again. Gone were the hectic life that I've led for the past five years, it's just me, Ginko chan and the wilderness of Hokkaido. So to speak anyway.

Hokutosei - is a limited express train operated by Japan Railways that runs through Ueno Station (Tokyo) to Sapporo. The duration is approximately 16.5 hours. Passengers are accommodated with rooms where they can sleep. The train also have a dining carriage for dinner and breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts and make my day! Let me know that I am not blogging in vain...