Sunday, June 7, 2009

Sunday Lunch at Casa Verde


One of my favorite things to do on the weekend is to catch up with friends over brunch. When P gave me several options for brunch, I decided to go with Cafe Verde because of it's location at the Botanic Garden. I have to admit that in the two years that I have been here, I have thought that this garden is called the "Botanical" Garden instead of Botanic. So when I arrived at the visitors' center I discovered when I read the plaque that it is actually called the Botanic Garden. Oopsie...

My ice water and order number

It was raining when I got there and I was hoping that this cafe would be close to the Visitors' Center as P texted me. The last time I was dining at the Botanical Garden, my Spanish connection and I took the wrong entrance which gotten us lost and we had to walked quite a bit to reach our destination. Thanks to the detailed text P sent me, I was only 10 steps away from Cafe Verde. It is located on the left hand side after entering the Botanic garden, with the cafe standing up next to the trees... how very fitting to name it green house.

Place your order here

I thought the pear shaped light decoration was cute...

On my way to find my friend, I saw the cashier and ordering lines and I was confused to find that you have to order on the cashier instead of the waiter coming to your table. I suppose it made sense as the cafe was open spaced and with the Botanic Garden just steps away they probably don't want people to order and just walk out without paying. Not sure what to order with my stomach not feeling too hungry, I looked through the menu and decided to go with pizza. Then they told me that their specialty pizza was wrapped spring roll style. I decided to try it: ham, mushroom and mozarella that came with a bowl of red sauce. P ordered beef taglioni and a basket of fries.

Sfilatino Casa Verde (House Specialty) spring roll style pizza
served with red sauce

Sfilatino Casa Verde: Mozarella, Ham & Mushrooms

The pizza was thin crusted with generous amount of ham, mushroom and mozarella. The red sauce was nice, but it could do with a bit more of herbs. The portion was just nice, well, actually for that day it was too much for me. I had to doggy bag two pieces and had it the next morning for breakfast. It was good, but I don't think it was worth 20 bucks... Or maybe they included the view price on that pizza... The fries were thick cuts, but they were crispy on the outside and soft in the inside. It tasted good with my red sauce. I didn't try P's taglioni, so I can't really comment on it.

Basket of Fries

Tagliatelle Bolognese

Overall, I would say that the food quality here is standard, perhaps a little on the pricier side considering the location. However, it is a nice place just to relax and hang out with friends on the weekends. Then after you stuff your face, you can just walk around the garden and work that calories as well as guilt out of your system. I really liked the Botanic Garden cause I can experiment with my camera and check out the cute dogs that walk around with their owners. I know some people check out the owner, but I check out the pups. I really wish I have my dogs here with me, I bet a million bucks they would love the Botanic Garden.

Casa Verde
1 Cluny Road
Botanical Gardens (Visitor Center)
Singapore
+65 6467 7326
Click here for website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts and make my day! Let me know that I am not blogging in vain...