Monday, January 26, 2009

Dim Sum: High Tea @Min Jiang ~ Goodwood Park Hotel


What is better than to spend one weekend morning or noon or afternoon with family and friends for good old dim sum? Dim sum allows you to relax while you eat little scrumptious bite size delights while sipping good old authentic Chinese tea, unsweetened of course, with your family and/or friends. You can eat as many or as little as you want, and you can linger, provided that the waiters or waitresses did not boot you out.


Some of the selections, this one in particular seems like tofu with crab meat balls

At that particular Saturday, I was helping out a friend moving house and when we went to get lunch, we didn't mean to have dim sum, we actually were going for Indonesian. However, on the way there, we passed Goodwood Park hotel and I was telling her about this dim sum place and she was intrigued. Then we found ourselves putting our names down as they were still preparing for high tea. Dim sum high tea at Min Jiang starts at 3pm to 5pm on saturdays, sundays and public holidays. Buffet on the dim sum including tea is SGD23.80++ per person. "++" means that you will be charged 10% service and 7% GST at the end of your total bill. It came down to around 28 bucks per person. I thought it was reasonable enough, considering you can eat anything you can fit to your stomach and the quality of the food.


Our table, after ransacking the buffet table, a tableful of yumms...

I didn't have breakfast that morning, so I was famished. So were my partners in crime. At 3pm on the dot, we were seated and ready to get our food. Once the waitress told us it was ready, we nearly run to the buffet table. We went completely bezerk. We picked up a tray and started to load anything and everything within sight, we came back with two full trays and a few plates on hand. I was almost embarrassed at the amount of food we have laid out at our table.


Garlic Pork (bottom) and Duck (top) all smothered with herbs, ingredients and sauces!

Since it would take ages if I were to do a complete review, I shall highlight to you a few dishes. I have to say that the garlic pork is a Must-Have with capitals M and H. It is oh-so-good. The thin slices of pork were submerged in vinegary soy sauce with lots and lots of garlic and other spices that really brought out the meat's natural flavor. All the flavors simply exploded in your mouth. We had a second helping of this. Just can't help it.


Fried stuff: deep fried dumplings, chicken dumplings (the one that is tied with straw like edible thing), fried lotus buns (the golden brown round things on the left) and siew mai, which isn't fried but steamed...


Dipping, lathering, preparing the deep fried dumplings before we eat them

Deep fried prawn dumplings. Such a simple dish, such a delight when cooked in perfection. The dumpling skin were golden crisp and the inside of it were simply ladden with prawn. Dipped it ever so lightly on a mayonnaise dip, Y.U.M.


Chicken feet (top left corner), cong fan - prawn wrapped in dumpling skin like that is made from rice flour (the white goodies with soy sauce), steamed spring rolls, broccoli and of course, the amazing chili sauce.

I also just have to rave about their chili sauce. Simply amazing! The best way for me to describe it would be Thai sweet chili sauce with fermented beans. Please do not be put out by fermented beans, just try this delicious chili, you'd be a convert. Just don't hold me responsible if you get addicted.

Although dim sum's veggies are usually kai-lan (chinese broccoli), at Min Jiang, I found the real broccoli with oyster sauce. I would prefer if they have kai-lan, but broccoli is a type of veggie so its better than not having any veggie at all.


Pai gut, so tender and delicious!

The pai gut (pork ribs) were so tender and sweet. I haven't had such a good pai gut in a long time. It is such a simple dish, but perhaps it is the simplicity of it that makes it really hard to reach perfection. It's real easy to screw up if the chef is not careful. The meat can get too hard, or chewy, but here... it was little bite size of heaven.


Prawn chong fan, I just love the combination of prawn, rice flour and the sweetened soy sauce... I wish they have the one with fried dough inside too...

Siu Mai, Ha Kaw, cong fan, all the other dishes were good. They were small yet succulent, steamed into perfection. The only thing that I didn't like that day was the duck, it was too bitter. However, other than that I have no complain. I was in dim sum heaven. I thought the quality of the food justified the price. I'd go back for sure.


Oh, did I mention that these awards assured me before we sat down?

Sorry if I'm making you hungry, even as I am posting this I am getting hungry of these dim sum...

Min Jiang
Goodwood Park Hotel
22 Scotts Rd
Singapore 228221
+65 6737 7411

2 comments:

  1. wow, i'm so excited after reading your review on this...

    I'm going there this sunday..Hope to try all the stuff u mention.

    BTW, how's the environment like? Do u hv to go take your own food or u hv to order type??

    ReplyDelete
  2. The high tea service is definitely self service, but if you go during other times they do have the trolleys and bring the food around the restaurants to your table.

    I didn't mind the self service though as it wasn't crowded when I went and the food was really scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts and make my day! Let me know that I am not blogging in vain...