Thursday, April 7, 2011

Matee Turkish Grill, Newtown


You know how people say, don't judge a book by its cover? We totally judged Matee by the way it looked. We just loved it's Turkishness, blue tiles everywhere and cozy looking tables and sofas, just so inviting. Turkish food is one of my favorite food in the world. Not only that Turkey is also on my number one place to visit. I guess I just love the fact that this country straddles both Asia and Europe at the same time. It's like being in two places at once. Cheesy perhaps, but the traveler in me just can't help but loving the idea.

Meze dips: best on hot sunny days, but I'll take it rain, hail or shine

I haven't had much exposure of Turkish food in Sydney so when I stumbled upon this Su, I had to give it a go. We ordered way too much, I had been deprived of Turkish food for so long. We ended up ordering a platter of dips (hummus, tahini, beetroot, carrots, babaganoush, salsa and tzatziki), kofte (meatballs) and this chicken dish that I can't remember (Sorry!!!).

Izgara Kofte Meatballs

And the food? Mucuk mucuk! Kisses in Turkish. The only thing I remembered from my Turkish friends' Turkish lesson from my times in the States. It was so great. We loved the dips. Our favorite was the beetroot dip. I've been contemplating a visit back just to have this dip. Kofte? Yummmmsss.... the rice pilafs were so soft, warm and savory. The kofte itself well seasoned and well... perfect. The purple cabbage and salads were fresh and lemon-y that gave the whole dish such a sync.

Su's chicken dish

I didn't really try the chicken dish, because I was too busy with my kofte and saving some room for dessert. Su liked it though. My recommendation, however, to definitely go with the kofte.

Matee Turkish Grill
528 King St
Newtown, NSW 2042
+61 2 9565 2815


Matee on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts and make my day! Let me know that I am not blogging in vain...