Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Guilty Pleasure: The Story of a Sweet Assasin

A box-ful of cardiac specials

My palate has a savory preference, no doubt about that. Tempt me with pavlova, cheese cakes, tiramisu, apple strudel, chocolate cakes, macaroons, and I won't even sweat when I said, "No, I'll take a rain check". Whenever someone asks what is my guilty pleasure, I am always at a lost. Until that fateful day when I was offered martabak manis: Indonesian style sweet pancake. As I wait for the package to be delivered to my house that night, I could not stop fantasize about the smell, texture, flavor and that ultimate first bite.

Martabak Manis: Check out the layers of chopped nuts, chocolate sprinkles and cheese.
Butter and condensed milk are there too,
just cause you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there...

Martabak manis is sweet pancake Indonesian style, highly addictive and the fact that it is only available after sundown only makes it more desirable. I always love watching the guys making martabak at their make shifts kitchens that are dismantled every morning. The dough cooking at the pan. The guys slapping it on the huge cutting table once its cooked. Chunks of butter slabbed and smothered into every inch of the fluffy steaming surface. Before the butter even gets a chance to settle, condensed milk are oozing all over and mixing with the butter. Chopped peanuts soon covered the pancake, followed by the chocolate sprinkles then grated Kraft cheese and condensed milk to glue it all together. The guys would then proceed to fold the pancake, slabbed some more butter on top, cut it into square pieces and pack it into a box for you to take home. Click here to see a youtube video. During the ride all the way home, its scents torments you even further as pleasure is so close and yet so far. Unless you forgo the plates and cutleries to just dig in.


Close up: don' t you just wanna bite it?

As you bite into the squared piece, butter is oozing out and your palate is filled with heavenly flavors: sweet, savory, buttery and nutty. The sweet sweet asassin slowly torturing your cholestrol and your waistline. Aware of this fact you are helpless to turn away and gladly take a second, third, fourth, fifth bite till you finish it out of sight. But not out of mind. Guilt came and stayed. Euphoria came too from the sweetness. Who win? It's a different outcome for different people. For me, as sinful as it is, I can never resist...

Dapur Martabak 
Jl. Pecenongan Raya No. 65A
Jakarta Pusat 10120
+62 21 3504081
Operating hours: 16.00-00.00

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts and make my day! Let me know that I am not blogging in vain...