Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Tomislav, Darlinghurst

My fave

Tomislav is one of my favorite restaurants in Sydney for a few reasons. The two that stand out are: 1. it introduced me to Blackstar Pastry last October's Just Dessert and 2. because of it's amazing steak. So when I saw a deal on Spreets a while back for 2 entrees, 2 mains and a bottle of wine for $69 for 2 people - I jumped on it.

Rice crackers with vinegar spray at the top, and 'roo tartare with basil, mint and crackers

Sourdough bread with butter sprinkled with brown onion

So there I was cashing in my deal. First up we have the rice crackers with sea salt and vinegar. Crispy, light and crunchy - just nice to whet our appetite. Then we had the kangaroo tartare. I had this earlier in the year and was dying to have it again. Fresh, juicy with no smelliness of a gamey meat. It was served with crackers. At 50gr a dish, I could have eaten it all to myself and more. Love it.

Scotch fillet with bone marrow - goodness

Then the mains - my favorite Scotch roast fillet with bone marrow, smoked potato cream and beetroot cranberry sauce. FYI: the sauce changes every 2 weeks or so (the nice host told me). Tender, succulent and juicy the steak did not disappoint. Well, maybe the fact that I had to share made me sad a little.

Basmatti risotto with grilled Yamba prawns, chives, lemon zest and nori

The second main is the basmati rice risotto with grilled Yamba prawns, tons of chives and lemon zest. I noticed some nori (dried seaweed) on it as well. Its different than other risotto as this one used basmati rice - more commonly used for Indian food - but the chef definitely deliver on the taste. I was a happy camper. The downside? I had to share...

Aerial view

Close ups

After successfully saving some room for dessert, we ordered milk chocolate cream cake with toasted macadamia and smoked banana ice cream. I don't normally eat milk chocolate, but this one was to die for. The sweetness was just right, the cream so smooth and silky. The highlight? Has to be the smoked banana ice cream. I could have a tub. Oh fyi: the dessert was not included in the deal.

Happy J with her wine

At the end, as the host bid us adieu, he said to me "see you soon" because he found out that I still have another voucher. (Hurrah for another round of these goodness). So I told him I need to find someone to go with. His suggestion was quite cheeky and probably hard to deliver: "find a cute boy on the street and ask him to come with you". So yea, I'll be on the lookout but if one of you knows Cory Monteith, could you ask him if he'd like to fly to Sydney to have dinner with me?

Tomislav
2/23 Kirketon Rd
Darlinghurst, NSW 2010
+61 2 9356 4535

Tomislav on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts and make my day! Let me know that I am not blogging in vain...